Grand National Grouse Championship 2013

Championship Winners. In foreground, from left: Scott Chaffee with Moss Meadow Traveler and John Stolgitis with Chasehill Little Bud. Behind: Mike Spotts and Tony Bly, the judges, and Ryan Frame.

BERLIN, N. H. — The 71st running of the Grand National Grouse Championship, held over fine courses at the White Mountain National Forest near Berlin, N. H., began Tuesday, November 5. The field of 41 — 26 setters, 14 pointers and a lone Irish setter — consumed three and one-half days and finished Friday, November 8.

Named champion was six-year-old setter male Moss Meadow Traveler, owned by Ken Moss of Mt. Pleasant, Mich., handled by Scott Chaffee.

Runner-up was Chasehill Little Bud, eight-year-old pointer male owned and handled by John Stolgitis of Ashaway, R. I.

The drawing was held the Friday evening prior to the Tuesday start at Diane’s Restaurant in Morrice, Mich., attended to by Grand National Secretary Dave Fletcher with a great helping hand from his wife Carol.

Weather was normal for early November in the White Mountains.

Surprising was the fact that this year the White Mountains were not white the first week in November. Snow in the higher elevations had not found its way to New Hampshire yet this fall. This was the first time in fifteen years the Grand National attendees have not seen snow on the mountain tops.

Tuesday morning, the first day of the running, was at 12° at daybreak, but later in the mid to high 20s and afternoons well into the 40s and 50s. Light rain made an appearance Thursday and Friday, but only interrupted the running briefly. The balance of the program was mostly sunny, above freezing at the breakaways and near 50° mid-day. Nothing more than light winds.

The Kilkenny grounds were again spacious with food and cover and very inviting to bird dogs. Native grouse and woodcock were somewhat moderate in number this season, most courses producing ample birds for the contenders, although this Championship cannot produce a champion or a runner-up based on work on a woodcock. A more detailed account of birds moved is provided in Ryan Frame’s portion  of this report, the  brace-by-brace account and the “winners and others”.

The Grand National Grouse Championship had its inaugural running at Black Forest, Slate Run, Pa., in November, 1943. The Grand rotates venues on a three-year cycle embracing the White Mountain National Forest near Berlin, N. H., the Gladwin Field Trial Area near Houghton Lake, Mich., and the Allegheny National Forest near Marien-ville, Pa. The regions are: Lake States, Middle Atlantic and Northeast.

Over the years, New York and Massachusetts have also been hosts. This is a rather difficult Championship to win in November with birds getting into their winter coverts, pushed away from the course route by a heavy schedule of trials ahead of the Grand over the same grounds, although this was not a factor this season at the Kilkenny area. The courses had only light usage earlier in the fall. At times it takes almost an all-age race to get out to the far corners of the course where the birds have moved to a “less disturbed” part of the forest.

The Kilkenny courses are probably the stoutest challenge for a grouse dog in the world of grouse trials. Quoting Thom Richardson, longtime GNG member, and former Futurity secretary, from Whitefield, N. H., “There’s no place in grouse trials any tougher.” There are relatively steep up grades and down grades to the courses, sometimes obstructed by deadfall timber from windstorms or heavy snowfalls, or littered by granite boulders on the surface. New Hampshire is the “Granite State”. This results in often a heavy toll on the competing dogs’ stamina, and some arduous work for the crew getting the courses ready for field trials.

This season Joe Dahl of Bangor, Me., accepted the stake manager’s role. He and about 30 trialers from various northeast dog clubs met here August 30  and an amibitous “work day” was tackled, the monumental task of getting the course routes ready.

Mainstays Joe Dahl, Lloyd Murray and Thom Richardson were joined by Matt Winchester and Bob Little from the Canadian Maritime Province of New Brunswick, Dr. Roger McPherson, Ray Gorman, Mike Flewelling, John Stolgitis and others and got the huge task accomplished. Stake Manager Joe Dahl was also on the grounds for every moment, keeping the flow of braces going, moving cars and anything else that needed doing. Jim Gill, Bob Lang and John Bilodeau were also moving vehicles.

Purina’s Dean Reinke was in attendance walking braces, especially his own “Ballerina” making her bid. Nestlé Purina is a great sponsor, financially, also with hats and banners and product vouchers for the winners. They are greatly appreciated by the cover dog fraternity, especially the Grand National.

The Purina steak fry, The William Harnden Foster Awards (Cover Shooting Dog, Derby and Handler of the Year) began the 2013 Grand National program on Tuesday at Lloyd Murray’s White Mountain Chalet in Berlin, N. H. Starting with hors d’oeuvres sponsored by Steve and Ginny Chiappini, honoring their 2012 Grand National winner Chip’s Uncle Buzzie. After a fine steak, prepared by Chef Murray, Purina’s Dean Reinke and Ryan Frame took to the podium to present the William Harden Foster award plaques. Cover Dog of the Year went to Straight Forward, setter female owned by Richard Brenneman and Bob Watts, handled by Dave Hughes. Cover Dog Derby of the Year was won by setter female Call Me Maggie, owned and handled by Craig Merlington of Cedar Springs, Mich. Cover Dog Handler of the Year went to Dave Hughes for the fourth time.

Adding to these festivities, the Grand National maintains an unofficial hall of fame — “Legends of the Cover Dog World” — display at the Bird Dog Museum in Grand Junction, Tenn., where for the past six years each region hosting the Grand has selected a person and/or a dog to be honored with an award plaque. This year’s selection was Bob Paucek of Bar Mills, Me., and Long Gone Madison, owned by Lloyd Murray of Stark, N. H.

Two English Setter Awards were also presented, recognizing Straight Forward, setter female owned by Richard Brenneman of Port Matilda, Pa., winner of the  Michael Seminatore Award, and Call Me Maggie, setter female owned by Craig Merlington, winner of the Thomas M. Flanagan Award.

The annual GNG General Membership Meeting was held Tuesday evening at the White Mountain Chalet after the steak fry. New director Craig Merlington (Lake States Region) came on board to replace a resigned director. All other incumbents were re-elected.

The next evening at the conference room of the Royalty Inn, in Gorham, the Board of Directors met, with the important task of setting dates and venues for the 2014 schedule of Grand National events. The season will begin with the Grouse and Woodcock Invitational Championship over courses at Grouse Ridge Kennels, at Oxford, N. Y., April 9-11, with the GNG Puppy Classic following April 12. The fall schedule finds the Grand National Grouse Championship in Michigan, hosted by the Beaverton Grouse Dog Club, beginning November 4, preceded by the GNG Grouse Futurity starting November 2, both over courses at the Gladwin Field Trial Area near Meredith, Mich.            .

Judges this season were Mike Spotts of Bloomsburg, Pa., and Tony Bly of Milan, N. H. Both hunt grouse and woodcock, train and compete cover dogs in trials, and their kennels boast many wins in important stakes. Needless to say they have been in the grouse woods a lot, and their experience level is high. In addition both own dogs that have won titles in the woods, both have handled during some of those triumphs, and both have “been there and done that”. Tony has also been a successful breeder of grouse and woodcock winners. In addition both are extremely athletic and are in superb condition to walk the rock strewn courses, up and down the hills, looking at over forty dogs, and these items are almost a pre-requisite for judges on the Kilkenny courses.  Kilkenny is a tough physical challenge for both man and dog.


Neither winner, Moss Meadow Traveler or Chasehill Little Bud, is a stranger to the winners’ circle. Traveler, owned by Ken Moss and handled by Scott Chaffee had one grouse find in his bid, was stylish in motion and on point and offered a strong, forward hour.

Some time ago, colorful character and Jamestown, N. Y., car dealership owner Bill McFadden orchestrated a fund- raiser to pay for unexpected and much needed repairs to the clubhouse at Marienville, Pa. Among the many who donated and contributed was New Jersey native Phil Gould, who donated a breeding to his champion Taz to an auction. Dave Bogle of Dubois, Pa., bid on and won this stud service, using it for his Ch. Wrong Way/Ch. Wycoff Run Megan bitch, Wycoff Run Sally. From this litter came Moss Meadow Traveler.

Traveler is a leggy, much taller dog than either of his parents. He has also been a consistent winner since his Derby year and has won two other titles just this fall, runner-up at the Wisconsin Cover Dog, and champion at the Northern Michigan Cover Dog.

Chasehill Little Bud also had a strong race and one grouse find in his bid; the proverbial one bad cast proved the difference. Bud has amassed an incredible record. He has won more than 35 titles in hiscareer  — all-age, horseback shooting dog, walking; quail, grouse and woodcock, including this fall, champion at the North American Woodcock and runner-up at the Northeast Grouse and Woodcock.

Bud was bred by Bill Piekenbrock of Dubuque, Ia., who also raised Bud the first year and started him. Piekenbrock had bred his Inno Way (Honky Tonk Attitude ex Lydia’s Dream) to John Stolgitis’ Beaver Meadow Benjamin and Bud was under the tutelage of Dave Hughes when Stolgitis saw him as a year-old pup and soon purchased him.

Interestingly, twelve years previously, in 2001, the Grand National was run at these same Kilkenny grounds and the winner was Beaver Meadow Bette,  Chasehill Little Bud’s grandmother;  runner-up was Wycoff Run Sally, the dam of Moss Meadow Traveler.

Three years later, in 2004, Beaver Meadow Benjamin was named runner-up at the Grand National, so in the case of the runner-up, three generations of dogs have now placed in the Grand National at Kilkenny, and two generations on the part of the champion.

Grouse were scarce until the last two braces of first day. Thereafter, grouse were seen on nearly every brace. Rainy weather played a factor on day No. 3. My rough count was that 25 to 30 grouse and about a dozen woodcock were seen during the running.

Other dogs that finished with grouse work in the order that they ran were: Islander (Ecker), Chip’s Charlie Brown (S. Forman), Springpond’s Shooting Star (Chaffee), Quail Trap Sadie (Chaffee), Quail Trap Max (Chaffee) and Herbie’s Asta La Vista (S. Forman).


Due to a misunderstanding about the starting time, the first brace went out ahead of me by about 5 minutes. The judges reported an outstanding effort by Chasehill Little D Lite (Stolgitis), which made big, well-applied swings and was strong throughout. Shady Hills Beanie (S. Forman), tricolor setter female, did not offer a race of similar proportions and lost a step down the stretch. One grouse was walked up near the trail at 30. Neither dog was heard for several minutes at about 50-55, then both bells seemed to start up; no game seen. Neither dog had a contact and D Lite was cited as having one of the best races of the stake.

Two setter males, Kendal Hills Diamond Dawg (Tufts), white and orange, and Upper Cover Desert Devil (M. Forman), a tricolor, laid out well the first ten with Diamond taking the outside course, heard more than seen, and Devil tending to check back close after each swing. Diamond showed more the next 10. Both dogs were stopped to the right at 21, Diamond found backing Devil, but nothing flew. Through the middle, Devil extended his casts but still checked back close. Diamond continued wide but came in from behind a time or two. Devil stopped well to the right at 51, several minutes required to locate him. He was intense, tail just above back level, and, not surprisingly, nothing was home. Time expired during the incident.

Two white and orange females, Fricke N Coco (Ecker), a setter, and Grouse Hill Bell (Stolgitis), a pointer. Mr. John Cappocci was in the gallery to watch his pointer. Bell moved nicely and showed well early with some nice forward swings. Coco went wide from the start, was scouted by Marc Forman at 6, Ecker dropping off and joining the search at 10. Bell did not show at 15, was scouted by Mike Flewelling and then Stolgitis. Point was called by Stolgitis in some conifers and Bell looked good on point, though the stand did not produce. Coco came through about then, made a couple of swings and then was searched for by Ecker as we went on with Bell. According to Judge Bly, Coco was back in ken near the half and taken up by Ecker after consulting with him. Bell was scouted for about eight minutes at 38 but showed on her own. She worked hard down the stretch and finished well.

Raintree Ballerina (Stolgitis), white and orange setter female, and Cas Tiny (Ecker), white and liver pointer female and last year’s runner-up at this event. Ballerina was the wider of the two throughout. Tiny hunted at medium range, handled well and mostly forward. Ballerina stopped and started several times and appeared “birdy” at 11 but worked it out and came on. Ballerina continued much wider through the middle, was hard to track at times and did not always show forward, but still working the cover well when seen. Cas Tiny pointed a chipmunk to the right at 50, pointed without results near the trail at 55, and stopped again 60 yards or so left of course at 58. Neither dog conneced this day.

Waymaker’s Terrific Chet (Chaffee), nice looking nearly all white setter dog, and a well built white and liver pointer dog, Richfield’s Silver Lining (Stolgitis), were up next on the Moosehorn Course. Lining took the outside course early and was scouted by Mike Flewelling at 2 but showed on his own 5 minutes later. He went deep again in short order and Stolgitis dropped back. Chet was reaching more by 10 and working the cover well and forward at this point. Chet stopped at 15 for 20 seconds or so but corrected. At 16 Judge Spotts came up the path and reported that he had seen Lining under a grouse. As we approached the small brook, one, then another grouse flushed out 50 or so yards in front, Chet not near. Chet stopped to the right at 33, looked good when found, but no birds resulted. Another bird flushed wild at 44. At 49 Chet was wide and scouted by Craig Doherty. Chaffee searched the cut to the right, then went forward. Time had expired for several minutes when Doherty was heard well back. The dog came out in short order, taken up and three more grouse flushed on the way out well after time. Eight grouse were moved.

Islander (Ecker), leggy tricolor setter dog, and Pinehill Silent Echo (Chaffee). Echo made a few wide swings down the hill was scouted once by Craig Doherty but returned on her own, and was last heard along the river to the left at 27, not returned to judgment. Islander worked the cover the first 10 but had trouble finishing forward. He then had an absence from 12 to 29. He pointed to the right in the alder bottom at 36; it appeared his tail was caught under a small pine tree. His bell stopped at the end of the alder bottom as a grouse flew across the river, his involvement not clear and no shot fired He lost a step coming up the hill, pointed again at 48 with a tail just above back level, but lofty and intense otherwise. The well-located grouse rumbled out and his manners were perfect. The course doubled back and he stopped again but Ecker felt that it was in the same spot where the grouse had just exited and collared the dog on. Islander finished with no further contacts.

Day No. 2 began neither as cold nor as frosty as the previous day and, with a bit of cloud cover, we were hopeful. As things played out, grouse were seen on all of the courses where they were scarce the day before, and then were scarce on the last two, where they were seen in good numbers the previous day.

Chip’s Charlie Brown (S. Forman), white and orange setter dog, and Hirollins Real Deal (Ecker), white and black pointer dog, were up first on Lonesome Ridge. Both took the bit early. Charlie crossed nicely to the front at 6, then was not seen for about 10. He was scouted to the right by Marc Forman but showed front left. Deal was not seen from 3 to about 25, showing from front left. Charlie made some nice moves in the middle. A grouse flushed wild near the trail at 30 and a trio of grouse flushed wild to the left at 38; neither dog was near these birds either time. Charlie swung into the latter area at 40 and stopped. He was low stationed and Forman took him on without flushing. Charlie looked great on a grouse at 45, to the right in some pines, showing perfect manners. Deal showed several times from 30 to 45 but not much seen or heard of him the last 15, and Ecker dropped off at the road crossing. Charlie lost a step the last five.

Upper Cover Billie Babe (S. Forman),  lightly marked tricolor setter, was up first with Mr. Capocci present to watch, and Springpond’s Shooting Star (Chaffee), lightly marked white and orange setter female, were next on Deer Mountain. Both charged hard early and carried themselves nicely. Star appeared to be working something just right of course at 2 but worked it out and came on. Babe stopped at 4 just left of course with Judge Spotts calling a bird as the bell fell silent. It appeared to be a stop to flush and Forman shot. Shortly after another grouse flushed well to the front of the stand. Star posed up nicely down the ridge the right at 6. Bly said that a similar stop to flush had occurred and Chaffee shot and took her on. Both dogs were still driving through the middle. Star stopped in some pines and near a very small brook at 24. Judge Spotts saw her first and she was feathering lightly, but would not move up by voice and then tightened up to a nice high point. The initial uncertainty proved telling as nothing flew. Up ahead Babe had stopped and was searched for. Star came forward and her bell stopped on a small ridge to the right. She was backing Babe but, again, no game produced. Both dogs continued on, Star now driving harder. Star went wide right at 54, was scouted by Craig Doherty. She was found near time on nice point, a grouse off her nose.

Chasehill Little Bud (Stolgitis) and Straight Forward (Brenneman), white and orange setter female, were next on Goldenrod. Both carried themselves well. Forward was wide early and scouted by Helen Brenneman at 4, showing front left at 11. Bud was handling well and worked hard early. At 18 Bud stopped to the right and had a grouse tagged nicely along the edge of some pines. Shortly after Forward stopped in some pines to the right and was searched for by the handler and scout. It was thick and wet in there and at last she corrected on her own, no bird seen. We worked to get to the front and Forward got there ahead of us. She was handled for a spell by Bob Watts until Brenneman caught up. Bud was having a very nice effort through the middle but went back left for about 10 minutes. Forward laid to the front, stopped at 54, but no bird produced. Bud was acceptably wide and forward down the stretch and both dogs came kindly at time.

A pair of leggy setter dogs — Lilleyhill’s Secret Stash (M. Forman) and Moss Meadow Traveler (Chaffee) — began wide, searching and forward and had everyones’s attention. Both carried themselves well. Stash’s range lessened some 10 to 20 but he was wide again by then. Traveler was wide at that point too and scouted to the right by Craig Doherty. Stash showed from front right at 23. Traveler showed a couple of minutes later forward right. Both bells seemed to fall silent at the same time deep left at 29. Both dogs looked good when found. Stash was twenty feet behind Traveler and slightly left. Forman and Chaffee flushed and a tight sitting grouse blew out to the right and both shot, though the judges expressed some thought that Stash was likely backing. From 40 to 52 Traveler used the path some in both directions. Stash was a step slower, stopped briefly twice and moved on the last ten. Traveler made a big move through the cover in the bottom down the left and finished strong and hunting.

Grouse Hill Dixie (Stolgitis), white and liver pointer female, and Magic Mist Bandit (Dahl), white and chestnut setter female, were first up after lunch. Dixie posed up majestically at 3, lofty on both ends. Nothing was home though and Stolgitis and Dixie headed to the front. It was about 12 minutes until I gained the front. Lloyd Murray reported both dogs working hard, hunting well. Both bells stopped in the distance it seemed in the same area. The bells started up about the same time and a grouse seen, but it was all too distant, too sketchy to assign any blame. Up the hill both dogs ranged wide the second half. Bandit was scouted by Craig Doherty to the right at 39 but she was returned on her own in five minutes. Little was seen or heard of either dog the last ten, but both were back shortly after the hour expired.

Chasehill Little Thudd (Kisieleski), white and liver pointer dog, and Chip’s A One Hundred (S. Forman), tricolor setter dog. Thudd made a couple of nice casts early, was scouted at 10 by Craig Doherty. Thudd returned from rear left at 22 and handler elected to take him up after a brief conversation with Judge Spotts. One Hundred had a nice woodcock find just left of the trail and added another at the end of the alder run at 37. He was not charging enough for Mr. Forman and was taken up near the parking lot at 57.

Day No. 3 began rainy, not torrential, but enough to make hearing bells difficult and enough to make us uncomfortable. The rain worsened by mid-morning, then ended in early afternoon accompanied by a noticeable temperature drop.

Fieldstone Farm’s Clyde (Ecker), white and orange setter dog, and Quail Trap Sadie (Chaffee), white and black setter female. Sadie was scouted early by Craig Doherty but came on her own front right in about 4 minutes. Clyde was stylish and making some nice swings early, though checking the whole back to his handler after most of his swings. Both dogs made some nice moves through the middle, Sadie a bit wider but not as forward, though not a big issue here either for Sadie. Sadie stood on the trail just after a course turn at 41 and looked good. A grouse was home, her manners perfect. Clyde’s bell fell silent forward and left at 48. A grouse was home for him too but there was some movement at the flush and he was taken up. Sadie continued on to the road crossing at 54, and Chaffee took her up there after consulting the judges.

Full Blast (Brenneman), good-sized white and orange setter dog, and Richfield Almond Joy (Stolgitis), white and liver pointer female. The rain was still steady, the wind gusty up at times. Joy was fancy and reached a time or two but was generally medium with a tendency to check back close. Stolgitis elected to take her up at 21. Blast impressed early with some big showy casts, the rain making it tough at times to track his bell. He drove hard and carried himself well. By the half he did not return from a wide swing and was scouted, but not returned to judgment. Three grouse flushed wild during this heat.

I did not see the third brace of the day so got the report from the judges. There was a short delay in hopes that the rain might lighten, but the forecast called for wind, so on went the trial! One Bad Winter (Unsworth), white and black pointer female, and L B Horchen (Tufts), white and orange setter dog, were loosed after this roughly fifteen minute rain delay. Rain still fell steadily throughout the brace. A grouse was seen at 5 in a rock pile just right of course, and it seemed to want to hunker down in the rocks rather than fly. Neither dog was near. Both dogs were popping well early, ranging nicely and applying themselves well. After a nice move at 28, Horchen stopped. His style was not ideal but he was intense. A grouse was seen running, which then took flight, and a few hops by Horchen had him on the hook. Winter continued on and the rain seemed to have an effect as she shortened and was taken up at 45.

Rain continued. Celtic’s Signature (Ecker), red setter female, and High Desert Dream (S. Forman), white and liver pointer female, were next on the Pancake Course. Up the big hill. Both dogs went well early, Dream a touch wider and more forward. Through the swamp Signature drove hard but had shortened some and had problems keeping to the fore. Dream crossed nicely several times and  handled well. Signature shortened more and Ecker picked her up at 41. Dream also was affected by the cold rain, slowed down the stretch and Forman took her up at 55.

After lunch, the rain stopped but there was still plenty of water on the Moosehorn Course. Windstar (Ecker), white and orange setter dog, and Chasehill Ben Franklin (Flewelling), white and liver pointer dog, both did some good things in tough terrain going down the hill through the swamp. They were independent, off the trail and showing. At 20 Windstar’s bell fell silent ahead and right. She did not look good when seen and Judge Spotts indicated that he thought Ecker might move her. A woodcock flushed near, though; she moved herself and though the movement was minimal it was enough. Ecker took her up. Franklin stopped at 25 briefly but corrected. Franklin seemed to lose focus a time or two up the hill but generally applied himself, handled well and finished in tough conditions.

The last brace of the day — Quail Trap Max (Chaffee), leggy white and black setter dog, and Herbie’s Asta La Vista (S. Forman),  tricolor setter female — went pretty well early down the hill. Asta stopped just left of course and stood intensely until the woodcock blew out just behind her after long flushing effort, her manners perfect. She stopped hard to the right at 17, a spot whee I had not seen a bird prior but a grouse was just off her nose. Forman whoaed hard but her style and manners were again faultless. Down the hill farther at 21 Max dug in left into some “whippy” saplings and stopped hard. He looked good  and Chaffee put a woodcock up from off his nose, and his manners were fine. As this work transpired, Asta stopped further along at 43, and had a grouse off her nose. We moved into the alder bottom along the Ammonoosuc River with expectation that the bird work would continue but nothing occured there. At 29 Mr. Chaffee got his official welcome to Kilkenny when he stepped into one of the famous Kilkenny mud holes and came out of it minus a boot, Judge Bly prying it out and returning it. Up the hill Max was a bit wider and that paid off at 52 with a find on a pair of grouse where he looked good throughout. Asta backed the stand mannerly. Both dogs ran off the remaining minutes and neither punched as much as they had to this point.

Two braces and a bye remained on day No. 4. It was crisp, cool, with a very light dusting of snow, a few flakes still falling; much preferable to the previous day.

Lucky Luke Star (Ecker), white and orange setter female, and Sunkhaze Maggie Mae (Flewelling), white and liver pointer female, worked well and forward, and handled. Maggie had a louder bell, was a bit wider and had a light episode of tonguing, and moved well. Luke worked the cover well, checking back close every five or six minutes, nearly always from the front. Both dogs were stopped at 40, forward and left. We could see Luke as we approached and he looked good. The grouse blew out quickly, no movement by either dog. Maggie was then seen farther along but had loosened and it was immediately apparent that the dogs could not see each other. Both dogs continued on. At 47 Luke was posed  again and looked good; nothing flew for  Ecker’s flush. At 52 both dogs were intensely working a patch of cover to the right. A grouse was airborne, both dogs stopped immediately, but the damage was done and both dogs were leashed.

Tricolor setters Shady Hills Billie Too (M. Forman) and Fernwood Cove’s Bella (Dahl) began well with big forward swings. Billie was a tad wider and Bella checked back the path a little more, but both grabbed our attention early. At 16 a grouse rumbled out to the right, neither dog near. At 25 Billie’s bell fell silent down over the hill to the right. He was in a wet spot in some pines, looked fine when seen but lost some composure as the flushing effort progressed. Bella swung into the area and was whoaed to a stop, then Dahl was informed by Judge Bly to take his charge up for not backing. Nothing flew. Just after the turn at Movelle’s corner, a grouse flushed as Billie worked up the hill, the dog near, failed to stop and was taken up.

River’s Edge Sadie (M. Forman), strongly-built tricolor setter female, as a bye, began with a nice big move, showing well. Her next cast though brought her in from the rear. She faded deep right again at 15. Forman did his best to show her but she was not returned to judgment. We retired to the white house at the hatchery for the announcement.

Berlin, N. H., November 5

Judges: Mike Spotts and Tony Bly

GRAND NATIONAL GROUSE CHAMPIONSHIP [One-Hour Heats] — 26 Setters, 14 Pointers and 1 Irish Setter

Winner—MOSS MEADOW TRAVELER, 1595215, setter male, by Taz—Wycoff Run Sally. Ken Moss, owner; Scott Chaffee, handler.

Runner-Up—CHASEHILL LITTLE BUD, 1577246, pointer male, by Beaver Valley Benjamin—Inno Way. John Stolgitis, owner and handler.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *